Header
Main Menu

History

Golf enthusiasts organized in March 1950, and land was purchased from the National Research Council for a nine-hole course on land, which had been partially cleared by Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau's grandfather, who once lived in the area.  Members contributed $6,000 and many hours of volunteer labour.  In July 1952, it was opened for play.  The course was laid out by Howard Watson, an international golf course architect. This was the humble beginning of the Deep River Golf Club, located beside Highway 17, as you enter the Town of Deep River, Ontario in the scenic Upper Ottawa Valley.  World-renowned golf course architect Stanley Thompson designed the nine-hole course and Howard Watson assisted in the design and also supervised construction.

When you see the Deep River Golf Club, it is hard to imagine what little resources were actually used in its creation.  Minutes from a golf committee meeting held at the town office on Sunday, December 2, 1951 attended by E. J. Markus (Chairman), F. J. Hammond, D. Watson, R. W. Ashley, J. C. Horseman and R. E. Bell (Secretary) reveals the surprising number.  Estimates by Stanley Thompson put the projected cost at almost $70,000, while the committee was able to revise that to just over $50,000.  Five decades later, $50,000 for a Stanley Thompson designed golf course looks like a bargain.

When established, the Deep River Golf Club simply extended the facilities for a town well known for having residents enamoured with sporting pursuits.  A vibrant community with a wealth of natural beauty, the town sits strategically located mid-way between resource-rice northern Ontario and the population centres of Ottawa and Montreal.  The district has long been identified as one of North America's leading centres for research and development in the application of nuclear technology at Chalk River.  Deep River is known internationally as the research home of Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd. (AECL) and related high technology businesses.  The golf course property was actually purchased from AECL in 2000, ending a lease agreement that began in 1952.

Initial development of the Deep River Golf Club was a staggered process.  While it was being constructed, course members actually utilized the Pembroke Golf Club as their home course.  Play on their new course began in 1953, with the current third hole acting as the starting hole and holes #8 and #9 being played twice to make up the nine hole round.  The full nine holes opened for play in 1954 and the basic design continues to this day. Tom Lornie was the head professional and manager, who has been with the club for more than 25 years.  Chris Learmonth is now the head professional and manger since 2008.  "The 300 members and green fee players never get tired of the course, with its distinct looks and challenges from numerous tees on front and back nines", is his evaluation of the course.  A tour of the course reveals fairways lined by full growth trees, water on three holes and elevation changes, all of which affect your club selections.


Copyright © 2007–2017. Deep River Golf Club (1972) Inc. / Designed by Francis Mattie. All rights reserved.

Hosted and Maintained by Golfsoft Software

Deep River Golf Club, P.O. Box 100, Deep River, Ontario K0J 1P0